An examined battle between top lightweight competitors is currently being esteemed improbable to occur by one of its rivals.
As indicated by a Thursday report from ESPN, Dustin Poirier says a battle with Tony Ferguson is unlikely for UFC 254 on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi on Oct. 24.
“UFC and I didn’t come to terms,” Poirier said. “I will not be fighting on Oct. 24. I just need to be compensated if they want this fight. Simple as that. I’m a (prizefighter) and the prize needs to be right.”
The thought for the battle had been recently recognized by UFC president Dana White, who affirmed the date and event were in the promotion’s plans at a post-battle news conference on Aug. 22, saying the session was “probably” going to occur.
Had it occurred on Oct. 24, Poirier (26-6 MMA, 18-5 UFC) versus Ferguson (25-4 MMA, 15-2 UFC) would’ve occurred on similar card as its divisional champion. UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov is planned to take on Justin Gaethje in the UFC 254 main event.
UFC 254 happens at Flash Forum on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi. The main card will stream on pay-per-view.
The current UFC 254 lineup incorporates:
- Champ Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Justin Gaethje – for lightweight title
- Jared Cannonier vs. Robert Whittaker
- Cynthia Calvillo vs. Lauren Murphy
- Walt Harris vs. Alexander Volkov
- Umar Nurmagomedov vs. Sergey Morozov
- Magomed Ankalaev vs. Ion Cutelaba
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Islam Makhachev
- Sam Alvey vs. Da Un Jung
- Liana Jojua vs. Miranda Maverick