LAS VEGAS – Canelo Alvarez reiterated at his post-fight press conference late Saturday night that he wanted to face Dmitry Bevol again.
The four-time champion, however, will not make a commitment on whether he will face Bivol a second time in his next fight. Alvarez had already agreed to face Nemesis Gennady Golovkin in his long-awaited third bout on September 17 before boxing on Beaver at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday night.
The Mexican icon could again drop to the 168-pound division and go on to a third battle against Golovkin four months from now. Russia’s Bevol (20-0, 11 KOs) will still be under contract to face Alvarez again, which could lead to a third fight between Alvarez’s DAZN and Eddie Horn’s matchroom boxing if Alvarez (57-2-2, 39 KOs) fights again against Golovkin in his next fight. Selects the option to be square.
“We’re going to see what’s next, talk about it and we’ll let you know,” Alvarez said through a translator.
When pressed, he fights Bevol or Golovkin, yet if he is thinking of returning to the ring on September 17, Alvarez replies, “We’ll see what happens in the future. But we just have to wait and see what happens. ”
Alvarez, who turns 32 on July 18, has fought three times in May and September since 2012, as his May fights are scheduled on or near Cinco de Mayo, and those September fights take place on Mexican Independence Day, which is celebrated every September. 16, or at that time. He has also fought in May and returned to action three times in November, since 2012, which may indicate that he will take longer to defeat Beaver and his next battle.
Regardless, Alvarez insisted he would box Bevol again as the former pound-for-pound king of boxing seeks to make up for himself after his decisive 12-round defeat to Bevol’s WBA Light Heavyweight Championship. Alvarez lost 115-113 with the same score on the cards of Tim Chitham, Dave Moretti and Steve Wesfeld, yet Bevol beat Alvarez more convincingly.
“We want to play again,” Alvarez said, “and we’re going to do even better again.”
Guadalajara’s Alvarez did much better than his first fight in his rematch against Golovkin, leading to a controversial split draw at the T-Mobile Arena in September 2017. He defeated Golovkin by a majority in their 12-round rematch in September 2018, also at the T-Mobile Arena.
A third battle against Golovkin (42-1-1, 36 KOs) could be more meaningful for Alvarez as the match will be fought in the division in which he works his best, the super middleweight, and he will be a professional. Success The 40-year-old Golovkin also needs the next third fight as he will not only represent his shot to avenge Kazakhstan’s lone defeat but will also give the IBF / IBO / WBA middleweight champion a chance to box. The undisputed 168-pound champion, and for his highest salary.
“My most natural weight, [where I’m] most comfortable, is 168,” Alvarez said. “And that’s where I feel best. So, we’re going to go and see if we’re going to play this rematch. “