The weekend did nothing to subdue gossipy tidbits that rose toward the end of last week about Sebastian Giovinco conceivably leaving Toronto FC to join Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal.
Some foreign outlets – including Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport – are detailing the Atomic Ant could leave Major League Soccer sooner rather than later.
Al-Hilal, the two-time ruling Saudi association champion, would need to pay a transfer expense to make the marking, however La Gazzetta dello Sport’s Nicolo Schiarra took to Twitter on Monday to report arrangements with Toronto are in progress.
Schiarra likewise said the Saudi Arabian outfit is hoping to procure Giovinco for three years at nearly $11.5 million for each season.
Amid MLS’ yearly media day Jan. 20 in Los Angeles, Giovinco said he was satisfied in Toronto however felt the club owed him better communication about his future.
“I hope [they] can say something about my future, no?” Giovinco said. “I do what I do for the club, for the team. I deserve to know my future for the club, the truth. If they want me to stay, or they don’t want me anymore. But at least they have to say something. Because I don’t see anything. They [are] scared to say something, no? Why are they waiting to say the truth?
“I’ve loved my time there, and if it continues, fantastic, because I’ve set roots there. My family loves it there. But at the same time, if it doesn’t work out and I do end up leaving, I’m looking forward to it, also. I’ll be a free agent, so to speak. So I’ll have an opportunity I’ve never had in my career, in terms of playing in different places and being free.”
Giovinco, a former league MVP and MLS Cup champion, as of late turned 32 and his agreement will terminate toward the finish of the 2019 season.